Credit card companies offer a variety of perks to attract new customers and retain loyal ones. Many cardholders can access a “lounge” for free or for a reduced cost when they use their card at an individual business. If you brush up on your credit card lingo, know what features are available, and how to get the most from your card, then you’re ready to get access to the lounges. Here we take a look at what you need to know about getting credit card lounge access, with useful advice on how to secure entry for free or at a reduced cost.
What is a Lounge?
Lounges are complimentary spaces where businesses offer concessions (such as free food or drinks) to cardholders who use their cards to make purchases in the lounge. There are thousands of lounges worldwide, depending on the country, so you may have better luck in some countries than others. Lounges can be found in airports, hotels, and other places that have a high concentration of spending. For example, if you’re traveling internationally, domestic airports often have lounges where you can get free food and drinks. If you’re a cardholder and have a card that provides lounge access, you can use it in the lounge for free. Some lounges have a fee for cardholders, but most will let you use your card for free.
How to Get Credit Card Lounge Access
To get lounge access, you’ll want to first see whether your credit card provider offers lounge access. Some cards, such as cards issued by the major credit card networks and banks, come with lounge access built in. Others, such as co-branded cards, may not offer lounge access by default. If your card doesn’t come with lounge access, you’ll need to find out if it’s available through a membership program or by contacting the customer service team. Often, you’ll need to provide proof of your card usage, such as receipts or credit card statements.
What Are The Benefits Of Lounging At A Lounge?
Complimentary food and drinks: Some lounges provide complimentary snacks, coffee, water, and other beverages, either for cardholders or anyone who uses the card in the lounge. This may sound like a small thing, but if you travel frequently, it could be very helpful.
At certain airports: Some lounges have access to certain airports. If you fly a lot, this could be a big bonus.
Priority boarding: This is relatively rare and only applies to some lounges. If you like an early start to your flight, this could be a useful perk.
Concierge service: At some lounges, members can reserve tables, seats, or seats on certain flights.
Discounts on other purchases: Many lounges give cardholders 10% off their next purchase at the lounge. However this varies by a lounge, so if you want to take full advantage of this benefit, you’ll need to look closely at policies.
Different Lounges Have Different Benefits
The benefits listed above are often available at most lounges (with a few exceptions). If your credit card comes with lounge access, this is likely the case with your card. But some lounges have special benefits that aren’t listed above. For example, Delta Epic lounges have access to movie theatres, including free popcorn. This may sound minor, but if you fly a lot and are trying to save time, it could be a big help. In addition, Delta Epic members can reserve seats on certain flights at no additional cost. This perk is available at other lounges, but not all offer it. Knowing this could be a huge help for you.
Also Read: How to apply for credit card online?
Before You Apply, Know What’s Required To Get Lounge Entry
If you want to apply for lounge access on your card, you’ll need to know the following:
- The name of your credit card company: Some card companies are better at providing access to lounges than others. If you travel frequently or want a specific lounge, this could be a big help.
- Your card type: Some card companies allow cardholders to use one card for access to lounges and another for purchases. Others allow you to use multiple cards for lounge access and one for purchases. This may come in handy if you’d like to apply for two cards to save money.
- The card’s expiration date: Some card companies allow cardholders to apply for lounge access on cards up to three years in advance. This may be useful if you have a specific date that you need access to a lounge.
Tips For Getting Approved When Applying For Lounge Entry
- Make sure you have enough credit on your card to cover the cost of entry: If you’re a cardholder and you want to get access to lounges, make sure you have enough credit on your card to cover the cost of entry.
- Provide supporting documentation when requested: If a representative requests documentation, such as an expense receipt or a flight itinerary, make sure to have it available.
- Be patient: Getting lounge access is a process. It may take a few weeks, or even several months, for your application to be approved.
Final Words: All You Need to Know
Lounges are a great perk for cardholders. These spaces offer complimentary food and drinks, and in some cases, priority boarding and special benefits. If your credit card comes with lounge access, it’s usually free for you to use. If you don’t have access to a lounge, it’s not too late. There are still ways to get access to a lounge and take advantage of the perks. If you have a business that would benefit from a discount on food and drinks, you can partner with a credit card company to get access to their lounge. You may even want to look into opening your own business and partnering with a credit card company to get lounge access. These tips and tricks should help you get your hands on those free goodies.